Friday, June 18, 2021

A Glimpse of an Angel: The Formosan Sika Deer - 臺灣梅花鹿

by Charles DeBenedetto

(Our glimpse of the Formosan Sika Deer. Photo Credit: K.H.)


“Shh. Look.”

I am about three paces behind my girlfriend, and I am not sure if she can hear me, but I don’t dare speak louder. She turns back to look at me, and I make two simultaneous gestures. With my right hand, I use a finger to cover my mouth, and with my left, I point out into the forest, away from the rocky path.

I crouch down low, and, when she sees it too, a hand covers her mouth and she crouches as well.

It looks at us with large, coal-black eyes in a small, slender head. Light brown fur with white dots on its back, it looks as though snow has been falling on it for a few minutes, and it has yet to shake it off. Perhaps only two or three meters away, it looks at us with curiosity, not fear. It looks healthy, surrounded by plenty of vegetation in the tropical forest, and it chews away happily as it looks at us.

After about five minutes (or was it an hour?) a smaller version of it scrambles out of the undergrowth to join the bigger one. It stays behind her, and she gestures for it to wait behind her until she can determine whether or not it is safe. My girlfriend takes pictures, which I am thankful for because I am not a photographer, and even if I were, I would be too afraid to make noise by searching my backpack for a camera. They stay for about ten minutes, then slowly, casually walk away, as if they were trying to leave a rather uninteresting conversation.

We watch them until they disappear, then we look at each other. We realize that we witnessed something special. 

 

* * *

 

We saw two Formosan Sika deer, which in Mandarin are called “plum blossom deer” for their white dots on their back that resemble the national flower of Taiwan. Although the plum blossom is a rather common flower, the Sika deer, we later learned, is truly uncommon. Our encounter with the mother Sika and her child was note-worthy, as most Taiwanese people have probably never even seen one in captivity, and even fewer would have seen a wild one like we did. But, in our travels around Taiwan, we have noticed that many places have names including “Lu,” the Mandarin word for deer.

Two of the most popular tourist destinations in Taiwan are “Lu Gang” (Deer Port) and “Lu Ye” (Deer Wilderness). Next to “Lu Ye” is “Chu Lu” (First Deer), and in Miaoli County there is a tribal village called “Lu Chang” (Deer Field). Others include “Lu Cao” (Deer Grassland), “Lu Gu” (Deer Valley), and “Sha Lu" (Deer Sands), while there are surely many others I don’t know about. But where are all the deer?

Before the mass immigration of Han Chinese people from mainland China to Taiwan, indigenous people hunted deer in the flatlands that would eventually become developed into big cities along the west coast. The city of “Lu Gang” (Deer Port) got its name because Taiwan’s first highly-prized commodity was Sika deer pelt. Throughout the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, thousands of deer pelts were shipped through Lu Gang every day, until the flatland deer populations depleted. As Han Chinese pushed indigenous people out of the flatlands and into the mountains, indigenous people hunted mountain-dwelling Sika deer to sell to the flatlanders. Overhunting brought the Formosan Sika deer to near extinction, and today, only about one thousand remain.

 

* * *

 

After our encounter with the Sika deer, we check into our B & B just outside the borders of the national park. With a large, smooth white stone building, a green lawn, picnic benches, and a large wax-apple tree, it almost looks like it might belong in the American countryside. Black letters spell out the word “summer” on the outer wall. Walking along a stepping-stone path, we go into the first-floor kitchen to meet our hosts.

A man introduces himself as “Ah-Ben.” He is a bit shorter than me, but has a roughness about him that tells me I would certainly lose a fight with him. His wife is taller, with thin, round glasses, and her smile seems to be permanently attached to her face. After the formalities about the accommodations, they ask if we saw a deer in the forest. We happily report that we did, and we show them on the park map roughly where we were when we spotted them.

Just then, one of their cats walk in. It has a twisted paw, and is limping horribly. Ah-Ben’s face looks physically struck when he says “the poor thing stepped in a deer trap.”

He shows us pictures on his phone of traps he has uprooted. As he scrolls, he begins a tirade. “I walk every day looking for traps, and sometimes I pull out more than ten in a day. It’s an endless game; they set them, and I remove them. I’ve talked with the park rangers, but they’re in on it, too. They look the other way and pretend that an endangered species isn’t being hunted.”

He stops for a moment to breathe, then asks us, “Do you know what the punishment is if you are caught killing a Sika deer?”

We look at each other, blankly, then look back at him.

He wags three fingers in front of our faces. “Three-thousand Taiwanese dollars. That’s it. A three-thousand dollar fine, a stern talking-to, and away you go. But you can earn eight-thousand Taiwanese dollars just for selling the antlers! By the time you sell the meat, the pelt, and everything else, you can earn as much as thirty-thousand Taiwanese dollars! The government won’t crack down, because it is a part of the indigenous peoples’ culture to hunt deer. But that culture will die along with the deer.”

By this point his face is visibly red. It is clear to us that those thousand-or-so remaining Sika deer’s safety is the most pressing social issue to this man.

In my head, I convert the numbers from Taiwanese dollars to US dollars. You would be fined about $90 US, and you would earn about $900 US. Sadly, that’s a pretty good deal.

I ask him, “Is the economy so bad here that people must resort to killing deer to make enough money to live?”

He waves a hand in the air to dismiss my question. “Of course there’s work, but why work when you can set traps and earn a month’s salary every time a deer steps in one? And those deer, I love them, but they’re stupid. They walk the same routes every day! It doesn’t take long to learn their routines. And then it’s just too easy.”

He pauses for a moment. My girlfriend asks, “Do many people around here know about this problem?”

He says, “My friends and I take turns leading Sika deer tours, but the only people who sign up are the Grandmas and Grandpas. What we need is for the children to know, so that a new generation will learn to protect the deer. But what can the kids do if it’s their fathers and uncles who are killing the deer?”

We sit in thoughtful silence for a while, but we don’t think of any answers.

I look out the window and admire the wax-apple tree. It is as tall as the house, and strong. It looks as though it had been here long before the house, and I think about how similar it looks to an apple tree. The picnic bench under it also makes me nostalgic for autumn back home.

I tell Ah-Ben that it might not help much, but I’ll write his story. He thanks me, and offers to give me some of the pictures he has taken throughout the years. As my girlfriend and I retire to our room, we continue to think about how to solve this problem, but we still have no answers.

 

* * *

 

It truly was surreal to see a Sika deer. Across the entire island, only about one-thousand deer remain, most of which live either in captivity or in Kenting National Park, on the southwestern tip of the island, which is where we saw the mother deer and her baby. 

It was extraordinary, but it ought to have been ordinary.

In earlier times, the amount of Sika deer almost certainly exceeded the population of humans on Taiwan, and they used to graze in the flatlands which are now city centers with skyscrapers, department stores, and hardly any wildlife anymore. The Formosan Sika deer will probably never regain its former numbers, but, seeing it slowly, proudly walking away, its child in close pursuit, there is a small hope at least of its continued survival.

In the forest, we watched them until they disappeared. We did not know then that one day they might truly disappear.


(This informational plaque may one day become a memorial plaque. Photo Credit: K.H.)

No comments:

Post a Comment