Friday, June 12, 2020

A Staunch Defense of the Squat Toilet - 蹲廁鐵粉

by Charles DeBenedetto

(It is not scary. It is revolutionary. Photo Credit: flickr.com)

When I first came to Taiwan, I was quite nervous about using “squat toilets.” That term is a little vulgar, so let’s use the term that Taiwanese people use, “Japanese-style toilets”. I was afraid I would fall in, or miss, or that my underdeveloped leg muscles would give out and I would have to cry for someone to help me up. It was difficult for a while, but once I learned the technique, I never looked back. Most public places in Taiwan have both Western-style and Japanese-style toilets (to accommodate foreigners, or because of Westernization?), but I will always choose the squatty potty. I know you are horrified, so please, allow me to explain myself.

Prologue: The Technique

The first time I used a Japanese-style toilet, I must have looked at it for at least twenty minutes and still had no idea of how to use it. My entire life up to this point, I had been pooing with my legs at a ninety-degree angle, so I assumed that my position should be just like a sit-down toilet, minus the seat. The result was that I was pretty much doing a wall-sit in midair, the kind that we would do in high school while training for Spring Track and Field. Sweating bullets and legs shaking, the last thing on my mind was focusing on the deed at hand, so I gave up.

Another problem. With your pants at your ankles, won’t you poo all over them when you are squatting?? As the amateur I was, I would take off my pants and underwear and hang them up before attempting to squat, which worked okay but was extremely time-consuming, which definitely annoyed the Taiwanese people who were next in line.

Finally, I learned that squatting is not ninety-degrees, but a very deep squat. At first, your leg muscles are weak, and cannot maintain this position for long, but over time, it becomes so easy that you could do it all day. And in fact, when there are no chairs around, Taiwanese people can often be found squatting in groups because it is more comfortable than standing.

Once you have mastered the deep squat, the problem of what to do with your pants is solved by using one hand to pull them forward a little, and that’s it. After you have learned the technique, the benefits of squatting slowly become painstakingly obvious.

Defense Number One: It is more sanitary.

Everyone knows the haunting thoughts of just how many dirty bums have touched that Western-style toilet before you, and we all have wasted so much toilet paper by covering the seat before we sit. With a Japanese-style toilet, your butt hovers in the air, so you touch nothing that other butts have touched. Even better, when you are done, you simply step on the foot pedal to make it flush; no hands required!

In Mainland China, they go one step further and do not even have doors on their stalls. I believe the mentality there is that it would be dirty to poop, wipe, and then touch a door, and although I can understand that, I would rather live in Taiwan where people cannot see you defecate.

Defense Number Two: It is more natural.

Are there any other animals other than humans who poop while sitting down at a ninety-degree angle? No. Why? Because that curves the end of your tunnel, and makes gravity work against you. I’m sure you have felt the frustration of needing to relieve yourself, but having to strain heavily to get the train out of the station. I have, too, but never with a Japanese-style toilet. When you squat, your flight-path is vertical, a straight-shot, Geronimo. A light, gentle push is all you need, and you’re done.

Because of the naturalness of Japanese-style toilets, “squatters” have a lower chance of such inconveniences as constipation, hemorrhoids, and incomplete bowel movements. I have never experienced any discomfort while taking care of business in Taiwan before, and I have Japanese-style toilets to thank for that.

Defense Number Three: It is humbler.

Why, then, do so many of us want to sit in an unnatural way when we poo? I believe it is because we want to pretend that we are not animals. We have consciousness, we have invented airplanes and computers, and gosh darn it I am going to poo in a way that reflects my superiority over other life forms! This is hubristic, proud, and nonsensical.

It makes sense that the Japanese would create such a natural toilet, as their spiritual worldview, embodied by the Shinto faith, asserts that people and nature ought to live harmoniously. To squat is to humbly admit that you are an animal. A special one, surely, and clever, but an animal nonetheless. Coming to this realization, you will be rewarded with good karma in the form of stronger leg muscles and faster, smoother bowel movements.

I realize that many of us do not think about all that when we decide to sit. Rather, sitting on the toilet is a part of our culture that we hardly think about, and when we experience constipation and straining, we just accept this as our fate as humans. But this is not the way things have to be.

In the West, you have very few options other than a sit-down toilet, but if you want to try to emulate the naturalness of a squat toilet, you can put a foot stool in front of you. While sitting on the toilet, putting your feet on the stool will closer mimic the angle of squatting, and, while it will not be perfect, it should make things easier for you. You can call it a “stool stool,” if you will. I have yet to patent that, so I’m a little nervous to share this secret with you, but here it is anyway.

* * *

I mentioned that public places in Taiwan usually have both Western-style toilets and Japanese-style toilets. You probably imagined a bathroom that is split half and half, but often all but one or two are Japanese-style toilets. You must walk all the way to the end if you wish to use the dirty, strenuous “sit toilet.”

Unfortunately, “globalization” and “Westernization” are often synonymous, so I fear that the “squat toilet” will soon be endangered, and perhaps one day even become extinct. But maybe, during one of my future visits back to the USA, maybe I will walk past all of the “sit toilets” and find, way at the end, a lone “squat toilet,” for the occasional person who does not enjoy popping a blood vessel while pooing, and who has achieved a higher level of poo consciousness.

Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment